Re: question about ReiserFS

On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 09:13, Gerald Richter wrote:
> Dear Debusers!
>
> I'm currently facing a maybe minor problem connected with the necessity of a journaling FS. And -due to my lazyness- what I am searching for, is a sleek solution.

ext3 would probably be more 'sleek' than reiserfs, because you can
easily upgrade/downgrade the filesystems without backing up, formatting
and restoring.

> I run a production system mainly as a mail server for a user-base of about 250 mail-users, choice was qmail. And I wanted to increase the fail-safety of wrtie-accesses to the maildirs, so I think about switching from ext2fs to reiserFS.
>
> distri: potato (Debian)
> kernel: 2.2.19-pre17
> kernel-patch: reiserfs for 2.2.19
>
> Questions:
> 1.: are there incompatibilities if I apply a base-patch to a pre*-kernel?

Like any other kernel patch that wasn't made exactly for that version,
it depends on what's different. Reiserfs is fairly self-contained so I
would bet it will apply cleanly. Might as well download the source and
try patching, if you get any rejects during the patch it won't hurt your
current setup.

> 2.: if so, how do i proceed?

Generally I just download the official tarball from kernel.org, any
patches I need and compile it myself, if you havn't done this read the
HOW-TO on linuxdoc.org.

>From the extracted kernel source tree (generally
/usr/src/linux-version), if the patch is gzipped do 'zcat
/path/to/patch.gz | patch -p 1' and if it's not gzipped do 'patch -p 1 <
/path/to/patch.

It will tell you if there were any problems applying the patches.

> 3.: how do i get the reiser patch-package, which automagically unpacks everything to the right place by using the (pre)inst-scripts, to cooperate with this pre17 version?

I may be wrong, but no reiserfs packages (tools or patches) seem to be
available for potato. If you get the kernel patch working make sure you
get and compile the utils or you won't have mkreiserfs, reiserfsck, etc.

--
Help protect your rights on-line.
Join the Electronic Frontiers Foundation today: http://www.eff.org/join