Re: ALSA and debian testing with kernel 2.4.6

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:29:44PM +0200, Gael PEGLIASCO wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've tried to compile ALSA source package on a debian testing and 2.4.6
> kernel. It's seems that's the modules are not installed under
> /lib/modules/2.4.6/kernel/drivers/sound, but under
> /lib/modules/2.4.6/misc, as if it was for a 2.2 kernel. Is it normal ?

I'm running testing with kernel 2.4.6.  I'm using an SB Live! with
alsa 0.5 compiled from source.  My snd-* modules are installed in
/lib/modules/2.4.6/misc as well, and everything is working.

> I'have also compiled my kernel modules with the option "add kernel
> version on module information", or something like that, and 'modprobe'
> does not want to install the module sound-card-esn1371 because it does
> not contains such informations. Then, when loading these modules with
> modprobe -q and depmod -q, I still have a lot of error messages that I
> do not understand about functions not found.
>
> Is there someone who know how to install alsa modules for a sound
> blaster 128 PCI card and 2.4.x kernel ?

I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file for the alsa-driver
source package and things seemed to work OK.  One problem I stumbled
on was to make sure that these aliases were present in /etc/modutils,

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

Use modprobe -c to check.
HTH,