Re: KDM and dead keyboard

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:27:47 +0800 (WST), Lindsay Allen
<allen@cbcfreo.wa.edu.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Daniel Jones wrote:
>> Running KDE 2.1.2 over Debian unstable with kdm.  Upon
>> boot-up, the machine comes up to the kdm login but the
>> keyboard is nonfunctional.  I see the keyboard lights flash
>> on initial bootup and I can change the numlock status during
>> the first stages of bootup.  Shortly before the kdm screen
>> appears, however, the lights on the keyboard go dark and the
>> keyboard goes nonfunctional.  Even CAD has no effect.  The
>> mouse still works, and if I select "Restart xserver," the
>> keyboard comes back to life and works fine.  It also works
>> fine if I exit kdm and go to a command prompt, so it's not a
>> problem with the keyboard itself.  Thanks in advance for any
>> suggestions.
>
>Perhaps you have a PS/2 mouse defined in X but using a USB mouse?  It's
>almost certainly something along those lines.

Thanks for your reply.  I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
My XF86Config contains the following:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

I'm not sure why there are sections for "Configured Mouse"
and "Generic Mouse".  Commenting out either section,
however, prevents X from loading.  If the problem is with my
XF86Config, I don't see why restarting the xserver fixes the
problem.