Re: Woody Difficulty

On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 22:38, Alan McConnell wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have just installed Woody, from four CDs made by a friend.  In
> trying to set up my printing, I discovered that "apsfilter" wants
> a ghostscript of 5.5 or greater, while Woody gives only 5.1.

Install gs-aladdin instead (currently packaged at v6.5)! It's in
non-free. And if it's not in Woody you can add the unstable locations to
your sources.list, apt-get update, get it, then comment the stable
locations and run apt-get update again.

(I wonder when 7.0 will be packaged).

Package: gs-aladdin
Section: non-free/text
Installed-Size: 6996
Maintainer: Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 6.50-5
Replaces: gs
Provides: gs, postscript-viewer
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.2-2), libpaperg (>= 1.0.7), libpng2, svgalibg1 |
svgalib-dummyg1, xlibs (>= 4.0.1-11), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3), defoma
Recommends: gsfonts (>=4.01-3)
Suggests: gs-pdfencrypt
Conflicts: gs, gs_x, gs_svga, gs_both
Filename: pool/non-free/g/gs-aladdin/gs-aladdin_6.50-5_i386.deb
Size: 2206414
MD5sum: 500536441cb4c0208668b7831fba8d2b
support.
 This version is Aladdin copyright, not GNU copyleft, see
 /usr/share/doc/gs-aladdin/copyright.
 .
 Ghostscript is used for postscript preview and printing.  Usually as
 a back-end to a program such as ghostview, it can display postscript
 documents in an X11 environment.  It can also use the Linux svga
 library to display documents graphically on the Linux console.
 .
 Furthermore, it can render postscript files as graphics to be printed
 on non-postscript printers.  Supported printers include common
 dot-matrix, inkjet and laser models.
 .
 Package gsfonts contains a set of standard fonts for ghostscript.
 .
 You have to install the gs-pdfencrypt package to be able to preview
 encrypted pdf files. That package is in the nonus distribution due to
 the stupid US regulations about exporting cryptographic software
 (please look under ftp://nonus.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US to find
it).
 .
 The Ghostscript home page is at
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html
 .
 This package also contains the hpdj driver contributed by
 Martin Lottermoser.

So you didn't need to try and build it yourself at all :-) Note that
version 6.51 IS NOW GPL SOFTWARE. It just hasn't been repacked for
Debian yet (and 7.0 packaged as gs-aladdin).

Regards,
Adam