Woody Difficulty

Greetings!

I have just installed Woody, from four CDs made by a friend.  In
trying to set up my printing, I discovered that "apsfilter" wants
a ghostscript of 5.5 or greater, while Woody gives only 5.1.  So
I had to go out and get a new ghostscript -- I got 6.5.  And
building that has been a struggle, but an account of that probably
doesn't belong here.<g>

My apologies if this apsfilter difficulty has already been reported
here; I just joined yesterday.

A question: are there utilities that can convert e.g. a .deb
package into a .tar.gz package? I know that there is a utility,
often useful, that does what its name suggests:  rpm2tgz.

TIA for answer.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell       Let us give President Bush some credit:  not yet
Pixel Analysis       have US jets gone howling over country X, "surgically