Re: Shell script to call apt-get install --reinstall

(Your Mail-Followup-To: is broken, by the way, as it doesn't give your
domain: "Mail-Followup-To: josh, debian-user@lists.debian.org".)

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 01:10:23AM -0500, Josh McKinney wrote:
> I am trying to call a shell script to reinstall all packages.  I have
> a file that lists all installed packages called "file".  The problem
> is when I call the script it just goes by saying it couldn't find the
> package.
> Here is the script.
>
> #!/bin/bash

#!/bin/sh should be fine for most simple shell scripts (and many complex
ones too).

> cat file | (IFS=" " ; while read prog; do apt-get install --reinstall $prog; done)

If file contains newlines, then your IFS setting will be too strict.

Personally, I'd use 'xargs apt-get --reinstall install < file'.

Cheers,