Re: fbset

Thus spake Danie Roux:
<snip>
> Now if someone can help me get more than 10 fps on a voodoo2 in Quake 3
> I'll be happy!

I had a problem getting GL and related accelerated things to work
here, as well.  I have a Rage 128 based card - a Pro, I think, although
I'm not totally sure, as it was parted out of a friend's box.  If you're
installing from debianized sources, the easiest way to make sure you
have the correct libs installed, so that you can rule out software
inadequacies, is to apt-get source -b foo.  If you only apt-get install
foo, apt-get only installs the bare necessities to make the program run
- in my case GL-based programs worked, but excruciatingly s-l-o-w-l-y -
  something like 5 or 6 fps.  When I reinstalled one or two of the
  programs with this method, apt-get pulled ina llthe other libraries
  that are also suggested, rather than just the depends, and now I'm
  geting a lovely 50 or 60 fps and couldn't be happier.  dselect will
  also attempt to do this in a smarter way than apt-get.  If you're
  working from non-debianized sources, try to figure out which libraries
  it uses for acceleration,as there are quite a few, and try installing
  them.  Not sure where else to go besides that.
  Good luck,
  Steve

--
:wq