Re: offtopic: How to seperate only sound from a mpeg file

Damon Muller saw fit to inform me that:
>Quoth Thomas Wegner,
>> Is it possible to seperate sound from a mpeg-file and save the result into a
>> soundfile?
>
>Although I've never tried to do this myself...
>
>[rei:~]% mplayer -ao help
>

>MPlayer 0.18pre4(C) 2000-2001 Arpad Gereoffy <arpi@thot.banki.hu>
>
>Available audio output drivers:
>        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
>        null    Null audio output
>        sdl     SDLlib audio output
>        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
>
>It looks like mplayer will write the audio from a video file to a wav
>file.

I had never tried this. But when I tried just now it is very slow. The
video plays very well under Mplayer but this audio dump is slow.

I however use vsound for converting only sound part from mpeg and rm files.

VSound is sort of like a 'virtual audio loopback cable'. That is, it
allows you to record the output audio stream of a program (similar to connecting
a loopback cable to the line in and line out jacks on the sound card, and
recording the sound from the line in jack, but without the DA/AD conversion
losses). One possible use for this application is as part of a RealAudio to
WAV file converter.

rajesh@debian:~$ vsound
vsound - digitally record output of an OSS audio program

vsound [options] program arguments

-f, --file=FILE    output file name
-v, --verbose      set to verbose output
-k, --keep-temps   don't delete temporary files
-h, --help         this help message
-V, --version      show program version
-r, --resample     resample the output file to the given sample rate
                     eg. vsound -r 44100 realplay file.rm
-d, --dspout       enable simulateous output to /dev/dsp and file
                     (may be required for some programs)
-s, --stdout       write the intermediate (Sun AU format) file to stdout
                     (no other output file is generated)
-n, --no-convert   do not convert the AU file to WAV

I got these proggy long time back. Don't remember the site now. u can just
search at Google or Freshmeat and u will get the link.

HTH

Warm Regards

--
Rajesh
http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/    *****  Powered By: Debian GNU/Linux

To clear  gibberish  all over the screen (e.g. after  cat of a
compressed or binary file) use "tset" from ncurses-bin package
Usually the  command  "reset"  will  clear the screen for you.
"reset" is merely a symlink to the program "tset".