Re: pon

gerard robin writes:
> "pon"  is a very simple script:
> exec /usr/sbin/pppd call ${1;-provider}
> I think that the script :
> exec /usr/sbin/pppd call provider
> would work too.

'exec /usr/sbin/pppd call provider' would always use the connection named
'provider'.  Pppconfig allows you to create as many different connections
as you want (i.e., one to your ISP, one to work, one to the Uni, etc) and
give each a different name.  'provider' is just the default that pppconfig
uses if you don't tell it otherwise.

'exec /usr/sbin/pppd call ${1;-provider}' execs
'/usr/sbin/pppd call provider' if you just type 'pon', but execs
 '/usr/sbin/pppd call isp_name' if you type 'pon isp_name'.

> can someone explain me the meaning of  ${1;-provider}

man bash
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)