MBR not being read.

Hi People,

Got a weird one here...

I've been setting up a new box and swapping things over from my
existing computer. On this computer the windows drive is hda
and linux is on hdb and hdd

Previously, using LILO writing to the MBR on hda was fine. However,
in the process of setting up the new box, something has gone wrong
with the old: it appears that the MBR is not being read and I'm getting
no LILO prompt. Fortunately, I can get into linux with a boot floppy,
but the Windows boot floppies do not work - the system freezes. If I
don't use a boot floppy I just get a blank screen after the BIOS
system diagnosis.

I've tried using Super Boot Manager - it installed successfully, but
again nothing comes up...

It's not the disk because I can still mount the disk without any
problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?
At the moment I can't get to Windows at all, and parents are not happy...

Thanks,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.