Re: MBR not being read.

On Wed, 2001-09-19 at 17:29, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> Hi People,
>
> Got a weird one here...
>
> I've been setting up a new box and swapping things over from my
> existing computer. On this computer the windows drive is hda
> and linux is on hdb and hdd
>
> Previously, using LILO writing to the MBR on hda was fine. However,
> in the process of setting up the new box, something has gone wrong
> with the old: it appears that the MBR is not being read and I'm getting
> no LILO prompt. Fortunately, I can get into linux with a boot floppy,
> but the Windows boot floppies do not work - the system freezes. If I
> don't use a boot floppy I just get a blank screen after the BIOS
> system diagnosis.

If the windows boot floppies don't work what makes you expect that
windows will ever boot again?  If you manage to get into windows somehow
you're going to need to just run fdisk /mbr and it should remove lilo
and reset the system for windows.

Do you have some sort of interesting hardware that windows doesn't like?

> I've tried using Super Boot Manager - it installed successfully, but
> again nothing comes up...
>
> It's not the disk because I can still mount the disk without any
> problems.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
> At the moment I can't get to Windows at all, and parents are not happy...

 Does the old system BIOS know about the hardware changes?  Perhaps it's
getting confused with missing drives and such.

--mike