Re: Related to: Re: general ups experience

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 12:58:14PM +0200, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> I got an APC UPS (don't recall the exact model) with a serial
> connection.  What kind of cable should be used (straigt, crossed or
> special)?  I _GUESS_ nothing will burn if I try the wrong type, but if I
> knowing the cable to be the right one would make it easier to find why
> things don't work (in case it don't).

Ugh, i would think the best way to find out what kind of cable it uses, is
to take the cable and a multimeter, and figure it out :)

ofcourse, if you dont have a cable, there IS a chance that you might be
able to fry it if you happen to cross some bad wires. Espcially if it
runs in 'dumb-mode' as opposed to 'smart-mode'.

Go take a look at the UPS-HOWTO... specifically chapter 6

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO.html

--
Adam McDaniel
Infrastructure Technology Consultant