Re: Minicom only works suid root

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:57:06PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2001, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> > group ownership:
> >
> >     $ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> >     crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Jul  5  2000 /dev/ttyS0
> A good suggestion and in fact I found that the permissions were
> crw-r----.
>
> Unfortunately, changing them to what they should be, as above, has made
> no difference. Trying to run minicom as user produces a message saying
> that it cannot open /dev/ttySO. I thought this might be because minicom

Ah, "cannot open", that makes me wonder, do you have serial support in
your kernel, e.g. the serial module loaded? Neigh, can.t be, as running
as root works.

So I fear it's time to check and double check permissions and the likes:

1) are you in group dialout?
   check with:

      $ id | grep dialout

2) is the group of /dev/ttyS0 dialout, and group permission rw?
   check with ls and then try to use it:

      $ echo AT >/dev/ttyS0
      $ cat /dev/ttyS0
      ^Z