Re: Minicom only works suid root

On 19 Sep 2001, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:51:11AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > >
> > > You need to add yourself to the dialout group as root and then relogin.
> > > That should solve your problem.
> > If you read my original post you will see I have already done this; in
> > fact, I've been added to the dialout group for a long time.
>
> The next logical step would be to check the device files for proper
> group ownership:
>
>     $ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
>     crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Jul  5  2000 /dev/ttyS0
>
> --
> groetjes, carel

A good suggestion and in fact I found that the permissions were
crw-r----.

Unfortunately, changing them to what they should be, as above, has made
no difference. Trying to run minicom as user produces a message saying
that it cannot open /dev/ttySO. I thought this might be because minicom
is in the uucp group, but changing this to dialout makes no difference.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than when they are
convinced beyond doubt that they are right.     [Laurens van der Post]