Minicom only works suid root

I have to have minicom setuid root, even though I have added myself to
the dialout group, which according to the man page should allow access
to serial port devices. Any suggestions for what's wrong?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Il ne faut pas toucher aux idoles: la dorure en reste aux mains. (One
should never touch idols: their gilding comes off on the hands.) [Flaubert]