Re: Centralizing apt-get downloads

Am 18. Sep, 2001 schwätzte Andrew Perrin so:

> I have a home setup with a DSL line coming in to one debian box, then two
> other debian boxen connecting to it via ipmasq.  Each box is set up to do
> an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade on a periodic basis for security and
> up-to-dateness reasons.
>
> My question is this: effectively, each time they upgrade, I'm downloading
> three copies of each package separately. Is there a relatively easy way to
> archive the files locally and have the two boxen behind the ipmasq'ed
> computer just get their updates from it?

I've been using squid in transparent proxy mode for more than a year. It was
awesome. Also caches stuff for a while, so it helps for updates that are
done the next day as well.

squid seemed to also speed up general web browsing. Even stuff that
definitely wasn't cached. Don't know why on that last part, but I'm not
about to bitch about things improving :).

Unfortunately, I moved to a new firewall box and I can't do REDIRECT with
the kernel I have on there. I haven't learned iptables well enough to move
from ipchains either.

BTW, my previous firewall was a Motorola PPC 100 with 64MB of RAM that only a
few hundred MB disk space allocated to squid. Made a huge improvement.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans