Re: Centralizing apt-get downloads

on Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:08:28AM -0700, der.hans (deb-user@LuftHans.com) wrote:
> Am 18. Sep, 2001 schwätzte Andrew Perrin so:
>
> > I have a home setup with a DSL line coming in to one debian box, then two
> > other debian boxen connecting to it via ipmasq.  Each box is set up to do
> > an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade on a periodic basis for security and
> > up-to-dateness reasons.
> >
> > My question is this: effectively, each time they upgrade, I'm downloading
> > three copies of each package separately. Is there a relatively easy way to
> > archive the files locally and have the two boxen behind the ipmasq'ed
> > computer just get their updates from it?
>
> I've been using squid in transparent proxy mode for more than a year. It was
> awesome. Also caches stuff for a while, so it helps for updates that are
> done the next day as well.
>
> squid seemed to also speed up general web browsing. Even stuff that
> definitely wasn't cached. Don't know why on that last part, but I'm not
> about to bitch about things improving :).

I find the latter argument hard to believe.  It *is* possible to speed
up browsing of sites that use heavy graphics content if the graphic
elements are constant, and can be cached.

I get about a 15-20% cache hit rate, which means by typical browsing
speed increases by roughy the same amount (20% of bytes are served at
local speeds).

For speeding apt-get downloads, squid has the advantage of being
transparent, efficient (you're not mirroring packages you don't need),
and very effective.

> BTW, my previous firewall was a Motorola PPC 100 with 64MB of RAM that
> only a few hundred MB disk space allocated to squid. Made a huge
> improvement.

P-200, 96MB, 2 GB disk (about 1.6 GB devoted to cache), running OpenBSD.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org