Re: Problems with communicator v4.77

Mozilla in 2.2 is not buggy at all. Give it a shot. As for that error, I got it myself, and I think I fixed it by installing an old copy of the stdc++ library. Look for things called "stdc" in the oldlibs section, and install all of them. one will work :P Try the one closest to the error message.

-Ben Zeigler

Peter Christensen wrote:

Eric,

I was interested to see your email about Netscape.  I'm using Debian
2.1, had the same problem, posted a question here very similar to yours,
and got many responses.  Here's one from Dman:

| (my query, when I tried to start Netscape)
| I got the following:
| | error in loading shared libraries
|   libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:  cannot open shared object file:  no such
| file or directory
| | Is this because Netscape 4.75 has problems?

< (Dman's answer)
< This means that when netscape was compiled it was linked against a
< different version of libstdc++ than the one you have right now.  There
< really isn't a solution since we don't have netscape's sources to
< recompile it.

I'm finding that the Mozilla that came with my version of Debian 2.1 is
unworkable.  I am unable to go to a website by typing in the address and
hitting enter.  The only way I can bring up a website other than
Mozilla's home page is by clicking on links in the Mozilla home page.

I was planning on upgrading to Debian 2.2, hoping that it would come
with a workable browser.  But from your experience it sounds as if I
shouldn't bother.  I'm not sure how to proceed from here because it
seems that you need the internet access functioning before you can
upgrade to a working browser like Galleon or Konqueror

Catch-22?

A question for anyone out there:  I bought Debian through Cheapbytes,
which sells the "vendor release."  Another company, LCS, sells the
"official CD."  Could the vendor release have a few problems?  Was it a
mistake to buy through Cheapbytes?

Yesterday I was thinking of getting the Corel version of Debian Linux. At this point, although I'd like to stick with Debian, I don't know how
to get past this browser problem.

Peter

P.S.  For the sake of completeness, here's my last (failed!) attempt to
get past this problem, based on some suggestions from Dman:

< When I tried to go to http://198.186.203.20 nothing happened.  I typed
< it in the address bar in Mozilla, hit enter, and nothing!  When I
typed <
< host www.debian.org
<
< in a terminal, I got the following:
<
<  216.33.160.173 connect:  Network is unreachable
<  216.33.160.174 connect:  Network is unreachable
<  www.debian.org  A record not found, try again
<
< 216.33.160.173 and 174 are the values that GTCinternet gave me when I
< signed up with them as an ISP provider.  In Netscape, under Windows
95,
< I have no trouble reaching the Debian website.  In Mozilla, under
Linux,
< I can only get to a website by clicking and following links in the
< Mozilla home page.
<
< When I shut down Linux last night I noticed the following message on
the
< screen just before the "system halted" message:
<
< debian login:  /usr/sbin/gpm:  /dev/ttyS0:  operation not supported by
< device
<
< I use a dial-up connection with an external US Robotics 56K v.90
< modem.