Re: Dual Serial port

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:25:45AM -0700, Lazar Fleysher wrote:
> As far as I understand a regular 25 pin serial port has 2 serial ports
> built-in on one chip. All serial lines which are needed for most
> communitcation devices (TxD RTS DTR RxD CTS DSR DCD RI) are doubled!
> The secondary ones are almost completely specified by the RS232
> (STxD SRTS SDTR SRxD SCTS SDCD) one would need to choose SDSR and SRI and
> I think that is possible with some pins left.

Uhm, i dont know what kind of computer you're using, but last i checked
DB25 is exactly like DB9 except it re-arranges the pins and carries more
redundant info.

Check out http://www.swindells.com/db25.htm

> With that, it implyes that it is possible to operate 2 serial devices on a
> single serial port prived there is driver support for it and one will have
> to build a cable-splitter to split primary and secondary serial lines to
> go to separate devices.
If you open up the back of your computer, and actually look and follow
the cable which is coming from the DB25 connector, you'll probably only
be able to see maybe 9 or 10 wires coming off of it.

Again, i dont know what kind of computer you have :)

--
Adam McDaniel
Infrastructure Technology Consultant