Dual Serial port

Hello everybody!

Most probably this is a strange question but I thought maybe some one
knows the answer...

As far as I understand a regular 25 pin serial port has 2 serial ports
built-in on one chip. All serial lines which are needed for most
communitcation devices (TxD RTS DTR RxD CTS DSR DCD RI) are doubled!
The secondary ones are almost completely specified by the RS232
(STxD SRTS SDTR SRxD SCTS SDCD) one would need to choose SDSR and SRI and
I think that is possible with some pins left.

With that, it implyes that it is possible to operate 2 serial devices on a
single serial port prived there is driver support for it and one will have
to build a cable-splitter to split primary and secondary serial lines to
go to separate devices.

That are your thoughts?

Are there any resticions in the way the data is stored inside the serial
port itself?

Thank you

Lazar