tar and symbol: o0tind

I have apparently recovered from a memory module problem that bodged my system but good.

I installed anew, potato from a CD; then upgraded to woody; now upgraded to sid.   The machine behaves pretty well.

But the upgrade wasn't smooth as it could be, and a new gremlin has attacked, giving the following error with any attempt to apt-get or dpkg any deb package:

     tar: error while loading shared libraries: tar: symbol o0tind, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time       reference

Does this ring a bell?

Alan Davis
adavis@saipan.com