FIXED: courier-imap: cannot bind (potato)

also sprach Damon Muller (on Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:54:34AM +1000):
> > well, i know this. courier-imap (without ssl) in my config would bind
> > to 127.0.0.1:143 only. however, this is *right after* bootup and
> > netstat *does not* report anything bound to port 143 when it reaches
> > init.d/courier-imap. this is why i bothered asking.
>
> Okay. In that case, I've no idea. I've never had any problem with it
> running under a potato system, but I usually compile from source myself,
> rather than using a debian package.

my bad, guys. in my setup, courier-imap binds to an IP that is part of
VMware's internal networking - but that isn't established until VMware
starts the guest OS, so sure it can't bind - the IP addy doesn't
exist.

solution: since i am starting a self-written display manager as root,
which then su's to the user vmware who executes X/VMware, i told the
DM to start courier-imap in 30 seconds - that's enough time to start
X.

now it works. thanks for all replies.

humpty was pushed.