Re: How to get rid of Gnome desktop?

On Monday Sep 17 19:26 A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:

> ** Can anybody tell me exactly when and how a particular desktop (Gnome or
> ** KDE) is started on a Debian system?  After a `startx` all kinds of scripts
> ** and programs get run using all kind of config files and I loose track
> ** where Gnome comes in.

No! I can't tell you this. But if you like to start your desktops with
startx, i reccomend you to use the .xsession file in you /home dir. This
is my .xsession:

xkbsel --select='xfree86(de)'
unclutter &
chbg -scenario /home/timeboy/backimg/changer &
sawfish &
exec gnome-session

If you use this possibility, you only be able to start one desktop. If
you like to switch between your old and your new system you could use
xdm, kdm or gdm. This are graphical tools you can use to select, which
desktop you like to start.

Timo

--
Nothing is impossible!