Re: pine for Debian

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Joe Koenig wrote:

> Trying to install pine on Potato.
> Downloaded the official sources. cd pine-3.96M. dpkg-buildpackage.
> dpkg --install pine-tech-notes_3.96M-5.0_all.deb
>
> ------ snip ----------------------------------------------------------
> Preparing to replace pine-tech-notes 3.96M-5.0 (using
> pine-tech-notes_3.96M-5.0_all.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement pine-tech-notes ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pine-tech-notes:
> pine-tech-notes depends on pine; however:
> Package pine is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing pine-tech-notes (--install):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> pine-tech-notes
> ------ snap ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've seen some other posting referring to the same probs. But no solution.
> I've found deb's on http://www.braincells.com/debian/pine/
> Are they approved, legal, offical or whatever?
>
> TIA
>
> Joe

This is a simple matter which everyone tries to make difficult. Make sure
the source deb lines for stable are in your sources.list. These are

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free

though I think the first one is enough in this case.

Then refresh and do (as root!)

apt-get source -b pine

in some appropriate place (I recommend /usr/local/src/pine) and debs for
pine (4.21, not 3.96) will be created. Period. Let me know if you have any
problems with this. I didn't.

By the way, I tried this just now, and I'm getting some bizarre permission
problems I've never seen before. Hopefully this is a temporary condition.

Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free pine4 4.21-1 (dsc)
  Could not open file pine4_4.21-1.dsc - open (13 Permission
denied) [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]

[etc]
                         Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.