Re: pine for Debian

* Faheem Mitha (faheem@email.unc.edu) [010915 19:03]:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Joe Koenig wrote:
>
> > Trying to install pine on Potato.
> > Downloaded the official sources. cd pine-3.96M. dpkg-buildpackage.
> > dpkg --install pine-tech-notes_3.96M-5.0_all.deb
> >
> > ------ snip ----------------------------------------------------------
> > Preparing to replace pine-tech-notes 3.96M-5.0 (using
> > pine-tech-notes_3.96M-5.0_all.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement pine-tech-notes ...
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pine-tech-notes:
> > pine-tech-notes depends on pine; however:
> > Package pine is not installed.
> > dpkg: error processing pine-tech-notes (--install):
> > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > pine-tech-notes
> > ------ snap ----------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > I've seen some other posting referring to the same probs. But no solution.
> > I've found deb's on http://www.braincells.com/debian/pine/
> > Are they approved, legal, offical or whatever?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Joe
>
> This is a simple matter which everyone tries to make difficult. Make sure
> the source deb lines for stable are in your sources.list. These are
>
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
> non-free
>
> though I think the first one is enough in this case.
>
> Then refresh and do (as root!)
>
> apt-get source -b pine

By the way, this needn't (and therefore shouldn't) be done as root. Any
user can use apt-get to fetch the source of a package. the way I usually
do it is this:

vineet@gobo ~/projects/dev/debian/pine % apt-get source pine

and then:
% cd pine<tab>
% fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
% sudo dpkg -i ../pine*.deb

This can all be done under /usr/local/src/ as well, provided only your
user account is a member of group staff.

I say this in the general case of building a deb from source; there may
be other quirks in the pine build of which I'm unaware.

In any case, something that may well work much much better for you is
the following command (yes, as root):

# apt-get install mutt

but maybe I'm just a little biased =)

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.