Re: When to stop tracking sid to make transition to stable woody?

on Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:23:27PM +0200, Mario Vukelic (mario.vukelic@chello.at) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I've moved my laptop to sid, mainly to try unstable (I've been
> running woody on both my machines for several months now) and to get a
> working gnome.
>
> This is the first time I experience a debian release cycle (I started
> with potato when it was already stable). I intend to run woody for quite
> some time after it goes stable (yeah, sure :) so here's my question(s):
> Since sid will be the name of the unstable branch for the foreseeable
> future,

Sid *is* unstable.  Sid will not be a release name, it's essentially an
alias for "unstable".

> and woody is going to freeze, what will be their relationship when the
> woody release draws near?

A new "testing" will be announced at some point (whether this is pre or
post freeze I don't know), and it will start tracking Sid, less ten days
and certain bugs, as with the current Woody.

If you're currently tracking "testing" by name (rather than "Woody"),
you should be transitioned to the new testing transparently.

> When will packages stop to move from sid to woody, i.e., when will sid
> become the unstable branch for the release-after-woody?

That isn't phrased right.  Sid *is* unstable.  Woody will transition
towards "stable", first going to freeze, then hitting release.

> Or, practically speaking, when do I stop pointing sources.list to sid,
> and change the URIs to woody, so that I make the transition to
> woody/stable?

You are advised to start tracking woody now if you want to transition to
it.  Think of Debian less as tracking a specific release, and more as
tracking a release state.

Peace.

Praying for the victims.