Re: Change to cgi handling in apache? - SOLVED, sort of

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:18:47PM -0400, Jason Boxman wrote:
> On Thursday 13 September 2001 03:57 pm, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > I've got two machines here, one running stable (apache-perl 1.3.9)
> > and the other on testing with an unstable apache (apache 1.3.20 with
> > libapache-mod-perl 1.25 - these were on the testing versions and I
> > upgraded them to try to fix my CGI problem).  I also have a minimal
> > CGI script:
>
> That's strange that it doesn't work on both.  I get that error when my script
> fails (for whatever reason) to output any kind of header.

Tracked it down.  The more recent versions are compiled to use suexec
(ptui!) and all suexec problems show up in error.log as premature end
of headers since the script isn't allowed to run and, thus, doesn't
produce any output at all.

Checking suexec.log turns up the error "command not in docroot
(/path/to/my/script.cgi)", which is odd because the docs I've found
on suexec say that scripts are supposed to be required to either fall
under the compile-time docroot _or_ be accessed via a ~user path, but
the Debian version doesn't seem to like ~user.  Or is that because
/home is a symlink on the system in question?  (Don't ask...)

Disabling suexec by renaming /usr/lib/apache/suexec to suexec-EVIL
got the script working, but I expect that apt will recreate the
binary under its original name whenever a new version of apache is
found.  Yay.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox