Change to cgi handling in apache?

I've got two machines here, one running stable (apache-perl 1.3.9)
and the other on testing with an unstable apache (apache 1.3.20 with
libapache-mod-perl 1.25 - these were on the testing versions and I
upgraded them to try to fix my CGI problem).  I also have a minimal
CGI script:

---
#!/usr/bin/perl -wT

print <<EOH;

<head>
<title>Hi!</title>
</head><body>
<h1 align=center>Hello, world!</h1>
EOH

exit;
---

On the stable system, it works just fine.  On the unstable/testing
system, the client receives a 500 Internal Server Error and error.log
records "Premature end of script headers".

What do I need to change (presumably another required header) to get
this working on both systems?

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox