Re: postfix and smarthost

On Thursday 13 September 2001 07:04 pm, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
<snip>

Christian:

> > If you do need a newer version than Potato offers (I don't know), apt-get
> > source really works wonders!  Just remember to download the necessary
> > development libs first.
>
> What? =0 You don't mean I have to download newer dev libs for that, do
> you? But I now read that I also have to get the so called 'Cyrus SASL
> libraries', so what packages do I actually need to download/install? Or
> would you recommend me to simply use another MTA?

Well, I'm probably the last person to ask about which specific MTA you should
use to get the job done.  I've only setup an MTA once, Qmail, some years ago.
But if indeed you do need a more recent version of Postfix to do what you
require, it is possible to add a source line to apt to enable you to download
and compile a never version from either testing or unstable that may do what
you require.

If you "apt-get source postfix" (guess, I don't know the exact source name
but that's probably it) and read the postfix*.dsc file that is downloaded
into your working directory, it'll include a list of required packages before
you can compile the source deb.  Fetch each of those on the list with regular
apt-get and then you can proceed to compile the source deb.  (Issue
"debian/rules binary" from the package's source directory.)

But you needn't do any of that if the version of Postfix in Potato does what
you need.  It might, but I'm not familar with it personally.  Maybe someone
else can chime in.