Re: apt-get problem

Am 14. Sep, 2001 schwätzte Rajesh Fowkar so:

> If I add in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
>
> and than do apt-get update, I can install any package from the woody tree.
> However /etc/apt/sources.list also contains entries for the 3 Debian 2.2 R3
> CD's.
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-3
> (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-2
> (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1
> (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
>
> I am on a dial-up line, which no too fast :-)
> Now the problem is, say I want to install something from the 3 CD's and try
> to use apt-get install , apt tries to go to the net to upgrade to the
> latest version of that package. This problem can be solved by commenting
> out the woody line in /etc/apt/sources.list and than running
>
> apt-get update
>
> But the next time I am on net and want to upgrade to some package in woody
> tree, I have to again download the Packages file ( which is around 1.3MB)
> by doing apt-get update.

A couple of ways. One is to not do updates when woody isn't in your
sources.list. apt-get will notice woody is commented out and ignore the
packages files, even if they're on the machine.

Better, though, is to upgrade to apt from woody ( I'd wait a few days until
a bug fix comes through, though. Watch this list as I'm certain one of us
will post when we see the fix come through. ), then take advantage of
/etc/apt/preferences. Man apt_preferences once you've got apt >= 0.5 will
give you some info. Also search this mailing list for posts I've made over
the last couple of months that explain my experiences with it. A most
wonderful capability.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...