networking trouble

All,

Thanks for the help so far. I finally got a chance to work some more on
this, and I have had partial success. To make sure everything was in a
proper state I removed the ppp package and /etc/ppp and then reinstalled
the package. Then I ran pppconfig to get things set up. But no luck.

Using

pon <scriptname>

actually gets the modem to dial and things look pretty good in the log,
I get all the stuff I expect based on comparing the log file with the
RedHat distribution that works. THen I actually get a connection but
then I get a SIGHUP that I have no clue where it could be coming from.
The details are in the snippet below.

chat[490]: CONNECT
chat[490]:  -- got it
chat[490]: send (\d)
pppd[489]: Serial connection established.
pppd[489]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[489]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
pppd[489]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
pppd[489]: Modem hangup
pppd[489]: Connection terminated.
pppd[489]: Exit.

Thus, the question of the day is why is the modem hanging up?

A snippet from the RedHat log file looks like this.

chat[846]: CONNECT
chat[846]:  -- got it
chat[846]: send (\d)
pppd[662]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
pppd[662]: Local IP address changed to 209.244.134.226
pppd[662]: Remote IP address changed to 209.247.23.241

When using pppconfig I selected DHCP for dynamic IP-addresses. I also
tried setting "ipcp-accept-remote" and "ipcp-accept-local" which
according to the man page for pppd allow the resetting of the
ip-addresses according to the server (peer). Anyway, from the log
comparison it looks like the changing of the ip-addresses is the only
thing missing and/or failing.

Any help is appreciated.

I have not made any progress on my ethernet problem. I still get the
message

Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=17 192.168.1.2:138 192.168.255.255:138
L=205 S=0x00 I=17003 F=0x0000 T=128 (#6)

and on exit

device eth0 left promiscuous mode

Whatever these messages might mean. I can ping the machine, thus the
ethernet card appears to work.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
rjschwei@mindspring.com                         LINUX