Re: networking trouble

On Saturday 08 September 2001 01:06 pm, Robert Schweikert wrote:
<snip>

> I want to set up ppp such that it dials on demand. I have this working
> on my RedHat system and figured I should be able to do the same on
> Debian. Thus I copied
>
> /etc/ppp/options
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> /etc/ppp/chap-script
> /etc/resolv.conf

Debian uses "pppconfig" to manage multiple dial up accounts.  The original
Debian files will be updated correctly when you run pppconfig to create a new
dial up account.  I'd revert to the original Debian files (you did back them
up, right?)

> /etc/hosts
> /etc/hosts.deny
> /etc/hosts.allow

These last three aren't related to your question.

> from my RedHat system to the Debian system. This does not appear to be
> good enough. I can start pppd, no complaints, but when I start mozilla
> pppd makes no attempt to connect to my ISP.

If you're looking for demand dialing, I recommend diald.  It will do what you
require.  The diald versions in Woody and Sid integrate well with pppconfig
files and set is exceedingly easy.  If you're use the potato package I
believe some additional manual setup is necessary.

> Another issue is that I keep getting the following messages to my log
> file

<snip>
> Sep  8 08:44:43 journey kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode

I can't speak to that, sorry.