Installed Woody Package, Killed X

I added the testing sources to my sources.list in order to get a few
packages in woody (mainly vlc-gtk), and in doing so upgrade some X
related packages. Now when I run 'startx' I get this error:

	X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.

I got some help in #debian, where it was suggested I create a link to
/usr/bin/X11/X in /etc/X11. I did that, but then got this error:

	X: /etc/X11/X points back to X wrapper executable, aborting.

I also tried copying /usr/bin/X11/X to /etc/X11, but that gave me this error:

	X: cannot read /etc/X11/X symbolic link (Invalid argument), aborting.

After all this it was then suggested I just reinstall the old packages
using dselect, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with which packages.
At the top of the list there are a lot of "Obsolete" packages, which I'm
assuming I remove. And at the bottom of the list there's a group of
"Removed" packages, which are all marked for installation (but don't
install when I select install) which I'm assuming I'll want to install
when I remove the "Obsolete" packages.

I'd like to know if I have the right idea, or if there's a better way to
go about this.

Thanks,
Rob Mosher

p.s. please cc to mosher@andrews.edu