Re: Web Filter

on Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:44:21PM -0700, Stephen A. Witt (sawitt@electra.rsc.raytheon.com) wrote:

> I've been following the 'web blocker' thread with some interest and,
> on a related note, was wondering what software is available for
> limiting access to certain web sites for specific users. I've a couple
> of elementary school age kids that are starting to become interested
> in the web. I think I need to supervise their activities in this
> regard for appropriate content but would like to experiment with some
> sort of filter to help out.  I'm currently running squid on a firewall
> machine (Debian 'testing') at home behind which we have a few other
> machines. I've just learned about squidguard, and will probably check
> it out, but I was wondering about other software that some of you
> might recommend.

One of the advantages of Squid is that it logs all site accesses.  You
can also block sites on a per-domain basis, IIRC.

I recently went through a year's worth of logs, mostly curious to see
what my profile looked like.  It's pretty straightforward to see what
sites are being hit, the most popular of same, and/or
increasing/decreasing trends.  If necessary, such sites can be added to
blocklists.

Peace.

Praying for the victims.