Re: Evolution

On Tue, 2001-09-11 at 19:45, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-09-10 at 21:24, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> >   Is anyone working with Evolution and IMAP?  I'm trying to get mine
> > working with an exchange server.  Windows admin says IMAP is up and on
> > but I'm not having much luck.  I say to check mail, it asks for a pass
> > but doesn't show me my inbox.  I'm not getting any errors either.
>
> Evolution and IMAP works very well for me, connecting to my local IMAP
> server, my ISP IMAP server and the work IMAP server.
>
> The problem is Exchange...  :(  It's version of IMAP is... interesting?
> and some releases of Evolution are broken when connecting to MS
> servers.  And the recent snapshots have been broken, period.

BTW I have been using Evolution to access my Linux IMAP mailbox and all
the recent Evolution releases for Debian since about 0.10 have been
great (We are now up to 0.13-2). No secure IMAP support yet.

Over this time I have also been accessing my University mail (using
IMAP) which is an Exchange server so I know Exchange version 5.5 SP3 and
5.5 SP4 works with Evolution. I have heard some bad things about
Exchange 2000. See what Eric Raymond thinks of it standards
implementation:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html

---Begin Quote---

It's been reliably reported that Exchange 2000's POP3 support is so
broken that it's unusable. One symptom is that messages without a
terminating newline get the POP3 message termination dot emitted -- you
guessed it -- right after the last character of the message, with no
terminating newline added. This will hang fetchmail or any other
RFC-compliant server. IMAP is alleged to work OK, though.

[Great about the IMAP bit]

But, the best option involves a tactical nuclear weapon (an old ASROC
will do), pissing off a lot people who live downwind from Redmond, and
your choice of any Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, or Solaris CD.

---End Quote---

Regards,
Adam Warner