X-windows hosed!

Yesterday I built the 2.4-9 kernel. The box crashed for no apparent
reason and now I just did an apt-get upgrade and destroyed Xwindows.
Here's what I think is wrong. I was trying to get true type fonts
working a while back and had problems with XF86Config. So I went to
the XFree86 download site and ran ./install -check script and
downloaded and installed all the necessary files to upgrade me to
4.0.3. Everything worked fine until today when I tried to upgrade
(have done so successfully in the past) and apt tried to install
XServer and Xserver-svga and numerous other Xpackages I don't
remember. Then it exited with an error. I tried removing (didn't work)
Xwindows and installing x-window-system (didn't work) and ended up
with lots of error messages. Any way out of this short of a reinstall?

 |Dale L. Morris             | Homepage: http://www.well.com/user/dlm |
 |Massage Therapist          | PGP key: http://www.well.com/user/dlm  |
 |Telephone: (702) 647-5583  |                                        |
 |ICQ #: 67278457            |Yahoo Instant Messenger: dl_morri       |