Re: public_html in apache

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:28:29PM -0700, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 questions regarding this public_html directory in apache.
> First:    How would I disable the public_html access?
>           I thought I could pound out the settings in /etc/apache/access.conf,
>           and then restart apache,  but users can still use their
>           public_html directory.

Comment out the

  LoadModule userdir_module line

or add a line

  UserDir disabled

> Second:   If I wanted users to have access to their public_html directories,
>           is there a way to have these public_html directories on a different
>           server?   For example: I have apache running here: 142.23.45.67
>           but all my user accounts and home directories are on this server:
>           142.23.45.200
>           Is it even possible to have my web sever use a different server
>            to access the users public_html folder in their home directory?

If 142.23.45.67 is server1, and 142.23.45.200 is server2, then server1
needs the following directives:

  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteRule ^/(~.+) http://server2/$1 [R,L]

and server2 needs userdirs configured normally.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.