VIM Behavior Modification

I am using vim and am having problems pasting content into a file while
using vim. vim is "auto-indenting" based on the previous line, so the
pasted text is quickly mauled and tabbed out more and more every line
(for large chunks of text, this is completely unmanageable).

However, when I am programming, I make use of this feature. How can
I selectively turn this feature on and off?

BTW - I am not subscribed to debian-user due to the high traffic, so
please CC me in the response. Thanks.

--
  Nick Jennings