Re: Compiling lame

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:08:37PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to compile LAME, but I can't... I've downloaded the lame 3.89 beta
> version (the latest) and doesn't compile. 3.88 gives me the same result,
> and 3.70, that is the stable one, doesn't compile too...
>
> This is the ./configure output, which breaks:

eh. Why not use the debian scripts they've been nice enough to
provide? :)  Really, I've been using them for a while. Makes things
nice and easy. Install the dpkg-dev package if you need it, check
the config file debian/rules in the lame source tree, then run
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc  Works great except for a few hackish
things I've had to do with a few odd configure options, but I may be
able to help with that if you get to it. Also, I'd reccommend
sticking with the latest versions. They've been adding and tweaking
things constantly, and haven't ever managed to break anything that
I've noticed. :)

a few random comments...

> Script started on Mon Sep 10 17:03:35 2001
> juli:/tmp/lame-3.89# ./configure
> checking dependency style of gcc... mkdir: cannot create directory `confdir': File exists
> ./configure: cd: confdir: No such file or directory

Odd. Never seen that before.

> gcc
> checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
> checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> not updating unwritable cache ./config.cache
> ./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
> configure: error: libtool configure failed

Stupid question: got write access to the build directory?

HTH,
Mike McGuire