Compiling lame

Hi all,

I want to compile LAME, but I can't... I've downloaded the lame 3.89 beta
version (the latest) and doesn't compile. 3.88 gives me the same result,
and 3.70, that is the stable one, doesn't compile too...

This is the ./configure output, which breaks:

Script started on Mon Sep 10 17:03:35 2001
juli:/tmp/lame-3.89# ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking cached system tuple... ok
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for style of include used by make... include
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... mkdir: cannot create directory `confdir': File exists
./configure: cd: confdir: No such file or directory
gcc
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
not updating unwritable cache ./config.cache
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

I don't know what to do... Any idea?

Thanks.

--
FreeBSD is the power--