Re: Web banner blocker

On Sunday 09 September 2001 02:40 pm, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,

Ross:

> I'm looking for a good web cache/banner remove program for Debian
> unstable.  Previously I've used Squid + Sleezeball, but Sleezeball
> hasn't been updated since November 1999.  :-(
>
> Can anyone recommend a good banner blocker?  I don't want entire pages
> blocked so SquidGuard is an overkill, but the banner adverts removed.

I've been using WebWasher for Linux.  Yeah, it's only free as in beer, but it
does filtering in a fashion that works for me.  It'll auto expire cookies you
don't want after a specified period of time, filter web bugs, kill annoying
JavaScript, like onLoad and onUnLoad (and popups), and filters ads based on
image dimension.  Yeah, sometimes you get false positives, but I find it
pretty rare that such a thing happens.

(http://www.webwasher.com/)

I used alien to debianize the RPM, which is pretty small, and moved the
init.d script to its correctly location and setup sym links so it would run
on start up correctly.  Then you just head to localhost:9090 to configure it.
Pretty easy.