nfs file execute permission

I just got NFS running to build a kernel on a small hd laptop to apply a
fix for the trackball (DEC HiNote CS450) using the NFS-HOWTO.  I can
access files for read and write as root on the client fine.
(rw,no_root_squash set in exports) but cannot run an executable on the
nfs mounted filesystem.  To get around this, I tried a combination of
local directories and symbolic links but make zImage broke due to some
executables generated on the mounted directory near the end of the
build.
Any help would be appreciated while I continue researching the problem.