Re: cannot use microsoft intellimouse 1.2A ps/2 compatible

carlos mena wrote:

can anyone help me. i'm in the process of installing the official binary-i386 version 2.2_r3 of debian, but when i get to the part of configuring xf86 and i'm trying to configure the mouse wich is a microsoft intellimouse 1.2A ps/2 compatible. i've tried different cconfigurations such as
(1) protocol: imps2 device: /dev/mouse (mouse did not move);
(2)protocol: imps2 device: dev/ttySO (mouse moved erratically,but always shifted to the right corner of the screen). someone told me to check and see if i had gpm.conf file in my /etc directory, but i did not find it. any help is appreciated. thanks.
--cc

Try to run 'gpmconfig' as root. If the program doesn't show up, you will have to install the 'gpm' package by running 'dselect'. Use dselect carefully in order to not confuse your system. The program will provide you with sufficient online help, but you might have to study your way through. After installing and configuring gpm, you will be able to use your mouse in text mode. I have set my ps2 mouse on device /dev/psaux as concerns the gpm mouse interface server. Now you will also have your /etc/gpm.conf file as well.

Next run 'XF86Setup' as root. Follow the instructions closely. The 'Mouse Device' will be already preset to '/dev/gpmdata'. Don't change. Instead try different mouse protocols as you think might fit. Don't get stuck on the brand of your mouse necessarily. Experiment but don't fumble about. My system once hung up completely while configuring the mouse.

That's how it worked out on my system. This way you will have a mouse in both, text and graphics mode. Isn't that great ...

Helmut