cannot use microsoft intellimouse 1.2A ps/2 compatible

can anyone help me. i'm in the process of installing the official binary-i386 version 2.2_r3 of debian, but when i get to the part of configuring xf86 and i'm trying to configure the mouse wich is a microsoft intellimouse 1.2A ps/2 compatible. i've tried different cconfigurations such as
(1) protocol: imps2 device: /dev/mouse (mouse did not move);
(2)protocol: imps2 device: dev/ttySO (mouse moved erratically,but always shifted to the right corner of the screen). someone told me to check and see if i had gpm.conf file in my /etc directory, but i did not find it. any help is appreciated. thanks.
--cc