Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 01:55:41PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Brian Nelson wrote:
>
> > Why not just download the kernel-source package?  Similar to the
> > vanilla ones, but usually with a few patches applied.
>
> That's exactly why not. I'd rather have a vanilla Linus kernel source
> tree to which I can apply patches without worrying about whether they'll
> conflict with whatever patches the Debian maintainers decided to apply.
>
> > The package
> > installs the bzip2'ed source in /usr/src.  Just tar -jxf it, configure
> > with 'make menuconfig' or whatever, and then build a custom
> > kernel-image package with 'make-kpkg kernel_image'.
>
> I have not found any reason to prefer make-kpkg over "make bzImage" and
> manually installing the kernel image.
>
> > I find it's much easier to manage and install kernel-images using
> > the packaging system.
>
> I have not found this to be the case. Installing kernels isn't that
> complex a process anyway.

I hate to wade in on this, but I used to use make-package, but have
returned to just using the plain kernel package process, which I find
to be so simple, and so amenable to changes I want to make, that it
results in a very pleasant process. In fact, I try out new kernels
just to see how some new features work, what it's feasible to change,
and it is, for me, just fun to use the basic kernel.
I expect that either will work,and I have used, and appreciated,
debian for years, but not for kernel purposes.
--
Gary Dolan
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, Kernel 2.4.9