Re: Kernel 2.4.x woes

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 10:53:19PM +0000, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:
| Matt Jones saw fit to inform me that:
| >
| >Make sure you enable initrd when you are doing the xconfig. It is not
| >something that stands out greatly and I missed it a few times. After
| >enabling the initrd I was able to compile with no problems at all.
|
| I have seen lot of threads here about initrd image which is required it
| seems for 2.4.x kernels ? But I have always compiled the kernel without any
| initrd stuff and the kernel boots fine.

If you compile your kernel without initrd support then you don't need
an initrd.  The stock kernels need the initrd AFAIK.  (Well, I didn't
get it to work without it)

| What is this initrd ? Why it is required when kernel boots without it ?

INITial RamDisk.

It is a file that has a cramfs filesystem it.  This filesystem is used
as the root filesystem during startup until the real root filesystem
is mounted.  It allows for loading modules and stuff, if it is setup
right.  I have no idea what benefit I get from it, but there it is
anyways :-).

-D