Re: Mouse probs in X (was: Unidentified subject!)

High,

I took the liberty to add a subject line. It reads soo much easier.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jack Grigg wrote:

> Dear Debian support,
> I have subscribed with mail address "jgrigg@bigfoot.com"
> (but the return address for this email is also valid)
>
> I'm installing release 2.2 r2 and I'm having trouble getting my mouse to
> work in the X windows system.  It is a microsoft mouse, connected to the
> COM1 serial port. I have editted the "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file with the
> "microsoft" protocol , and port "/dev/ttys0".  when I run startx it goes

Are you sure you do not mean '/dev/ttyS0'? Linux is case sensitive. You
may also want to try /dev/ttyS1.

> through the startup (svga16) the screen blanks, and then it halts with a
> message similar to "mouse error:could not open mouse (input/ouput)".  I
> have searched for detailed documentation, but cannot find any specifics.
>
> I have had no mouse problems with more automatic dists such as mandrake
> and redhat, but I would like to get Debian up and running instead.
>
> your support would be much appreciated
> thanks
>
> p.s (im new to linux)

Ok, please wrap your lines at 72 chars when sending to lists.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan