Desperate about mounting/unmounting/checking-root-problems

Hi there,

is there anybody out there who has experiences in this as well and might give
me hints about it:

Ever since I've been running kernel 2.4.x, my system has problems unmounting
filesystems correctly at shutdown time and now suddenly it starts complaining
at fsck-time during the boot.

I'm running
- kernel 2.4.9
- e2fsprogs 1.22-2
- mount 2.11h-1
- devfsd 1.3.18-1
(all the newest available .debs)

I have devfs running, and usually, I have a link set from /etc/mtab to
/proc/mounts.

Several problems I encounter, all of which seem to be connected somehow:

- at the last step of shutdown, when the machine tries to unmount all local
filesystems, it complains about devfs being busy. Reason: devfs is not
contained in a regular /etc/mtab, but it is in /proc/mounts. I think it is a
bug in mount not to ignore it just like it does for procfs, though! - anyhow,
the maintainer ignored my bugreport, saying devfs should not show up in
/etc/mtab anyhow...

- using a regular /etc/mtab again, all worked well, until suddenly, that file
got corrupted at a shutdown and the system could not boot at all any more
(not even in superuser mode!) until I had the filesystem checked from a
different installation I still had kept on a spare partition.

- Every once in a while, at boot time, fsck complains about filesystem not
having been unmounted correctly (root, /home and any other e2fs ones I had
mounted previously) Anyhow, I could never make out a problem when I watched
the shutdown process. Usually, the check finds everything ok, but once in a
while there are some minor files left in /lost+found, containing pids or
other minor pieces of information obviously written right near the end of the
shutdown process.

- Now suddenly, I do not know what I did to make the problem occur (some
minor update I cannot recall?) fsck always complains when it tries to check
the root partition at boot time, saying it is mounted. Anyhow: I even
modified to boot script to print out the current mount state before the check
- and it says root is correctly mounted ro, as it allways was before. This
problem is particularly annoying, since fsck always askes whether it should
really continue to check the "mounted" fs - waiting for a key to be pressed.
After typing "y", the program continues correctly, either finding everything
ok or (- see the problem above -) finding a incorrectly unmounted fs which is
then checked.

Now please, if any of these problems seem familiar to you, tell me what you
configuration is, so I might be able to circle in the cause. Of course, if
you have a solution or any hints about it, that would be even more
welcome... :-)

Ciao,
Nobbi

--