Help!! Soundcard questions

Hi,

I'm running debian potato, on a K6-2 500 with 500+MB RAM, on a Gigabyte
GA-5AA M/B.
Everything's working fine, except that I'm trying to get a soundcard
working.

Mandrake on the above system auto-detects the card, and gets it working
automatically. No drama.
But under potato (which I prefer), it's a nightmare.

The soundcard is an ESS Audiodrive ES1868F, in ISA form, which I
understand can be driven with the 'sb' kernel module. AFAIK, support for
the 'sb' module is already compiled into the standard potato kernel, so
no kernel rebuild is required - it's just a matter of loading the module
with the right params.

That's where I hit trouble.
No matter what arguments I pass to modprobe, I get the error:
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: insmod sb failed

greycat on #debian suggested 'pnpdump -c', to auto-detect and select a
viable configuration, but this just hangs. pnpdump by itself produces a
confusing array of options.

Someone please help

Thanks
David