Re: Help!! Soundcard questions

> Hi,
>
> I'm running debian potato, on a K6-2 500 with 500+MB RAM, on a Gigabyte
> GA-5AA M/B.
> Everything's working fine, except that I'm trying to get a soundcard
> working.
>
> Mandrake on the above system auto-detects the card, and gets it working
> automatically. No drama.
> But under potato (which I prefer), it's a nightmare.
>
> The soundcard is an ESS Audiodrive ES1868F, in ISA form, which I
> understand can be driven with the 'sb' kernel module. AFAIK, support for
> the 'sb' module is already compiled into the standard potato kernel, so
> no kernel rebuild is required - it's just a matter of loading the module
> with the right params.
>
> That's where I hit trouble.
> No matter what arguments I pass to modprobe, I get the error:
> /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: insmod sb failed
>
> greycat on #debian suggested 'pnpdump -c', to auto-detect and select a
> viable configuration, but this just hangs. pnpdump by itself produces a
> confusing array of options.
>
> Someone please help

You might consider having something like:

    alias char-major-14             sb
    options sb         io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

in your /etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules.

I believe one of the LDP SOUND HOWTOs explain this in more details.
Yet I am not sure how this will affect a PNP card. I also not sure if you will
not have feed these parameters to insmod untill your next reboot.